1.3.07

crash

The movie, Crash, was very interesting. From the first scene it caught my attention. In the first scene it shoves the problem of racism in the viewers face. The viewers are first presented with an Asian and white lady arguing over a car accident. However, this was not any regular argument, it was one filled with racial remarks and stereotypes.

This is sort of a tangent, but the first car crash scene and the last scene with the African American lady getting in a car crash, had arguments that were filled with racist stereotypes. These scenes reminded me of the accident that mr. maretzki shared with us in class. It is horrible how angry these people got so quickly, and started to just shout out racial remarks, which make things so more badly. By making these remarks people’s tempers just started to build and things got out of control. These two scenes could have easily ended up like the scene that was talked about in the newspaper. The scene was written about in the newspaper was very shocking to me. I did not think there were any racial problems in Hawaii, let alone something as horrible as this could take place here. I think of Hawaii as a big mixing pot and this newspaper story totally objected to what I thought.

Back to the movie, it made me realize some people are totally racist. It made me wonder if I am unconsciously racist. The character, Sandra Bullock, played in this movie was a really racists person. Towards the end of the movie, she realized that something was wrong with her because she woke up every day with all of this anger and hate towards people of a different race. I hope I do not ever come to that conclusion or treat people the way she ever did. However, the part in the movie that made me think about myself was the part when her and her husband were walking down the street and passed two African American men. She held tightly onto her husband when she saw these two men of a different race. It is hard to admit, but I think at one time or another I might have unconsciously done this. It makes me mad with myself that I might have done something like this in the past and I hope that I will never do it again.

I felt so bad for the Mexican man in the movie, he was such a good guy and people just treated him so badly. I felt so bad for him when he overheard the white lady telling her husband they need to get the locks changed again because the Mexican would sell their key to his friends. He was a really nice man and just got a bunch of poop because of his race. I was really happy to find out that his little girl did not actually get shot because it was not a real bullet.

This movie was really good and caught my attention from the very beginning. It made me realize all of the different racism that takes place in the world. It also made me think, Am I racist? I would like to think no but after watching this and seeing how other people act, and seeing that I have some similar qualities the answer might not be what I want it to be. I would like to watch the film again and see if I could make any more connections throughout the movie. We should watch another movie like that! ok bye bye :]

No comments: