As I sit down in a place I am very familiar with, I discover the unknown. Sitting down, with a different purpose allows me to make many observations. Prior, these observations were unattainable with my frequent mind set. It is amazing how I am at this location about five days a week and still so oblivious. I am at Punahou School, on a bench that is located in the quad. As a hala tree protects me from the scorching rays, I allow my mind to explore. This was no ordinary day at the bench; I had an Identity and Culture on my mind. I was an alien who doesn’t know anything about the humans in Hawaii. All of the people were frantically passing me and I was trying to figure out what made them run. I am one of these humans who are frantically running around, but it was interesting to see things from a different perspective. It was sort of watching life through a lens, like in This American Life. As I stepped back, I was able to notice human beings in a different way. This is what took place on this eye opening day.
Located in paradise, I am surrounded by creatures that roam this place. They are like nothing I have seen before. These beings although familiar to what I know, are still very different. They have a body, two legs, two arms and hands, and a face. Even among each other, these beings have many differences. The skins of these living things are different colors. Some white like snow, while some brown like dirt. The different shades between these colors are endless. These beings vary in sizes; some are tall and some small like ants. Here, these creatures are known as humans.
In addition to their colors and sizes there are different genders, male and female. These two species look and act differently. These genders dress differently. Males wear baggy clothes that practically fall off their body, while girls wear tight clothing. However, even though this is how the majority of the two sexes dress, there are some humans who don’t follow the majority. As I sit on this bench, in the middle of the sea of humans, I see a boy who is wearing what seems to be girl’s clothing. He is wearing pants and a shirt that look tight. As he walks through the mass of people it seems I am not the only one who is making this observation. There are humans making comments about this boy’s choice of clothing. However, it does not seem to bother him. He walks confidently and does not follow what seem to be the rules, change him. From my observations, he acts without a care. He is accepts who he is and does not let culture shape him.
However, as I look around, not all of these humans are like this boy. The majority of the humans have let culture affect who they are. More specifically culture tells girls they have to be skinny in order to be pretty, according to magazines and the media. The majority of the girls I see passing me are so skinny. The girls are talk about how they are going to work out after school to burn off the snack she ate. I see people making fun of a girl because she is bigger than everyone else is. She does not fit into the mold culture makes for human girls. Culture affects the way boys think and act. Around me, I see boys pretending to fight each other. The boys I see show no emotions. I see a boy trying to act all manly as he punches the lockers with frustration. Even though these humans look different, they are affected by culture. Humans are constantly trying to fit into a certain mold; the mold culture has made for them. Humans are greatly affected by the movies and magazines that tell them how they should act.
While sitting on this bench, I realize the majority of these humans are taught that only girls and boys should be romantically involved. There were these two boys who were sitting sort of far apart from each other on this bench. They were sort of surround by a lot of other people. All of a sudden one boy puts his arm around the other boy. The other boy freaks out and whacks off the boy’s arm. All of the other people start laughing and screaming out “Ewwwww!” The boy, who put his arm around the other boy, was now being pushed away from the other boy and being called, “Stupid!” This was sad because what if the boy who put his arm around the other boy really did like him. The social standard says it is wrong if two boys like each other. Society says guys are not able to be so emotional or touchy, girls are the emotional and touchy ones.
Trying to think I was an alien let me see the world I always see, from a different perspective. I learned culture effects who people are. It made me wonder if I was like one of the people who are molded by society. I do not want to be one of these people, but as I ponder about who I am and what I value; I must admit culture has greatly influenced my life. I know I act a certain way or do certain things so I can fit in. I am not sure why I am so obsessed with trying to fit in. It seems as though I am trying to strive for perfection, but I can’t explain what defines perfection. It was hard to admit, but it is true. Now, I am going to try and not be so closed minded about people who are different. I am not going to think someone is weird because they do not fit into the mold society has created. I will try and accept myself for who I am and not do anything so to fit in. The people who are different are more normal than anyone who fits the mold because they are themselves. I envy those who are able to accept who they are and are okay with themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment