The film, Tape, only had three characters and took place in one room. I believe the director was able to make his point by focusing on these three characters in one setting. I found these three characters to be very interesting. In the beginning, I thought Vince, the drug addict, was the one with the most problems and the worst life. Then, John enters the room and seems all high and mighty, when in actuality, he had many problems. He seemed perfect and criticized Vince and his life. However, there was a power shift when Vince made a copy of Jon's confession. At first Jon did not confess to raping Amy, but after Vince pushed Jon, he admitted to it. After Vince had the recording of Jon's confession, he held all of the power. It recording and confession made Jon looked flawed, maybe even worse than Vince because he had never said sorry to Amy. It made me mad when Jon had accepted that Amy had forgotten about the raping. He hoped Amy had forgotten about the raping, so he would not have to deal with it. He just moved on with his life and never thought of apologizing. He was only tying to apologizing to Amy because Vince had a tape of his confession. That made me think he was selfish and just wanted to try and make himself look good. I think that it was so interesting how Jon kept trying to convince Vince and himself, he was a good guy, when actuality he was no better than Vince. It seemed like the more he tried to say he was a good guy the more he ended up looking bad. This film revealed to me that males and females should not try to figure out what each other are thinking. Everything just ends up getting really confused and messed up.
Watching this film made me think about things that have happened in my life. I know that I have messed up before, and I must admit I have hoped the other person has just forgotten. Recently, I have built up the guts and apologized to people for my mistakes. As I convinced myself, some of the people forgot about my messing up, but some did remember. I used to convince myself that they have gotten over it and it would not help to apologize. However, I was wrong. Even though it is scary and hard to admit that you straight out messed up, it is necessary. It is worst to go around pretending like everything is perfect and running away from your problems.
bye bye :]

1 comment:
HI! I talked about how Jon was the good guy at first but then became the bad/not in control guy later too. Goes to show that first impressions can be quite wrong as we discussed last class.
It's good that the movie inspired you to face things you regret doing in the past. Wow, I should do that.
It was interesting to see two guys have a very heated and conniving debate. I don't see that too often. :P
Post a Comment