Oh the day has finally arrived. Yes, today is the day where we have all of the power. We have been waiting for this day ever since we have come to the Academy. Yes, today is Senior Skip Day. Senior Skip Day, is the day where we, the juniors, become seniors. This is the day we get our class rings, yearbooks, and just have a great time. The place where I hang out was even planning a potluck. This was going to be the best day of my junior year. However, some freshman got in the way of best day.
It was skip day and the freshmen were freaking out. They thought they were going to get stink bombed and water ballooned, like last year when things got out of control. Prior to skip day, the freshmen have been coming up to us, juniors, asking us what we were going to do to them on skip day. Actually, just one freshman, this guy named Matt. One day, Sarah and I were walking to her locker. As we were walking, we hear a voice yelling, “Excuse me! Hey you!” I turn around and there is this boy who comes running up to us. Neither Sarah nor I, knew who this boy was. All of a sudden he starts accusing of Sarah and I of conspiring with the other juniors about Skip Day. He said he knew about our plans, and him and his friends were already prepared with their balloons and eggs.
Frankly, I thought this was hilarious. It did not even cross my friends or my mind to pull pranks on the freshman. I was more concerned about making my senior T-shirt, which I had not started. After talking to this freshman, Matt, for a few minutes we got annoyed by his false accusations, and said bye. He was giving us a bunch of attitude when we had done absolutely nothing. I thought that was the end of it, but I was wrong. I was so wrong, things had just begun.
As the day went on, I was hanging out with my friends at the boat, the name of our hangout spot. All of a sudden I hear someone yelling out, “Bitch!” I look up, and to my amaze I see Matt pointing at me and continuing to yell at me. I was so appalled by his actions. I had just met him earlier on in the day, and he was calling me a bitch in front of everyone. He told all of his friends I was a bitch; they all just accepted I was a bitch. By the end of the day, people were staring me down and pointing at me, as I walked by. I had been given the new name, bitch.
Finally, it was skip day. It was the best day of my junior year. I had on my cute “SEAniors” shirt on, and was ready to have fun. The night before, I came to the conclusion I was not going to let this boy ruin my day. I planned on ignoring him, just smiling and walking away. I was not going to fight back and let him get pleasure out of seeing my reaction. As I walked off to Spanish, I saw Matt on my left. He smiled and waved at me, I smiled back, then diverted my eyes to the ground. I thought that was it, things were over. However, as I walked away he yells, “Bye bitch!” This shocked me because I did nothing to provoke him. The rest of the day I was able to avoid him.
However, at the end of school I walked passed this bench to go and hang out at the boat with my friends. I was talking on the phone to my friend and hear someone yelling, “Girl with the green bag!” I have a green bag so I turn around to see Matt giving me the middle finger and saying, “Bitch!” This was the final straw. I turned around and walked away. I hid the water dropping from my eyes and went to the bathroom to try and regain my composure. It was just horrible to have someone who I do not know make this assumption of me. He was even taking actions off of this assumption. I wondered how someone could be so mean to someone they did not even know.
After I went back to the boat, my friends knew something was wrong. I told them what was happening and they went up to talk to Matt. When they came back, he had told them he was just joking around. He said he would stop calling me names. Some of my friends knew him from camp and said that is just how he is. He thinks he can get away with teasing people and being mean to them. I thought about how people use the word, bitch, to joke with their friends. Culture and society have allowed individuals to think these actions okay. Especially with girls, when I hear girls calling their friends bitches, I believe they are just degrading each other. They are letting society know this word is okay. Another thing I learned from this incident is people will do anything for attention. My friends told me this guy loves attention, and he loved getting a reaction out of me and bragged about it to his friends. This was ridiculous, why would you want to hurt someone just to get attention? This incident was very hurtful, but I did learn a lot. I now know some people will do anything for attention. Also, I am going to not call any of my friends bitch, in a joking way, just because society tells me it is okay. It is just wrong to call your friend a bitch, even if you are just joking. Just because society and culture says an action is okay, does not make it right. This is where people need to stand up in their beliefs and change the wrongs of culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment